Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Twinkletoes

This past weekend I decided that I needed a bit of a break from the baby blanket. It was starting to get to me (which is probably a bad sign seeing as how it's only 1/5 of the way done) so I figured a quick knit pick-me-up project was what the doctor ordered (I really never learned the whole delaying gratification lesson I'm afraid). A while back I bought the yarn to make Twinkletoes from Winter 2006 Knitty so no time like the present right? I am very happy with how they turned out. Rowan Calmer is not only soft to work with but I can't even begin to describe how soft it is against your skin. If there was ever a yarn made for slippers, this was it. Here's how it turned out:



My favourite part by far is the ballerina ties on them. Were I to make them again (and I most definitely will) I would add 2-4 more rows of stockinette. It stretches well but I still find it a bit of a reach to keep the heel in place. And I would also add length to the ties. They look much longer in the pictures on Knitty than my turned out. My mother really wants a pair for her birthday and I think that I'll be making these as Christmas gifts this year.

Now, I know that I promised my Queen of Cups socks once they fit on my feet, but the pictures didn't turn out very well, you can't quite discern the pattern and they aren't very flattering to my ankles so instead I'll distract you with a picture of Mittens sleeping in my knitting.

If you look you should see: the baby blanket, twinkletoes in progress, Queen of Cups in progress, finished Monkey socks and a finished scarf (oh! And the lid to Cookie Dough ice cream). And yes, I shamelessly use my sleeping kitties as pattern holders. They like it, I swear!

8 comments:

Deneen said...

How cute (both the Twinkletoes and the cat).

If you see Julie, please smack her upside the head and tell her to post something once in a while-

Melissa Perreault said...

The twinkletoes turned out great!! They look like just the right weight for spring tootsies too!

That's truly amazing that you could train your kitty to hold your patterns. ;-) My dog just sticks her paws on mine and wrinkles them, not helpful.

Jewels said...

yay, Deneen smacked me again, hehe

I totally love the twinkletoes!! Must make.

You should submit that pic to the stuffonmycat.com site. Kitties do love their sleep hey.

sara said...

I so need a pair of these!

I love mittens

sara said...

Mittens the cat that is. There I go hitting submit before I'm ready....

Mathgirl said...

Both my kitties are little princesses. Mittens is the one that loves to be around at knitting time. And if she weren't sleeping soundly, I'm sure she'd thank you for the compliment :)

knitting singer said...

those are cute little slippers (and mittens too, of course!)... i put that pattern in my favorites.

the stripey tiger said...

Jenna, Its here!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks so much for your generous parcel. the girls are already asking me when they can eat their exploding lollies. I love the colour and the pattern is georgeous. I especially love the ends. The cashmerino is so soft. I'll blog about it very soon.
Huge thanks - Looking forward to getting to know your blog. :-) Sharon